Official Government Website

General FAQs





Are Idaho licensed engineers and land surveyors subject to the Rules of Continuing Professional Development?

Short answer - Yes.

Long answer - The Board requires CPD for both engineers and land surveyors. Implementation of that authority is in IDAPA Subchapter C Rules of Continuing Professional Development for Land Surveyors which places the requirement on both land surveyors and engineers. If you collect any PDHs in the current renewal period while you are exempt from the requirement, you may carry forward up to 30 PDHs into the next

Do Idaho licensed engineers submit their log and records of Continuing Professional Competency on renewal?

Short answer - No.

Long answer - If you look at the Rule, which is available on our website and always at you will note you are only required to produce your records when audited. You will be notified by the Board office should you be the subject of an audit. You are not required to submit them at any other

I'm interested in becoming licensed as an Professional Engineer (or Professional Land Surveyor). Without scouring all the laws and rules, is there a summary of what qualifications I need?

The Applications the application wizard will walk you through what is required and the information and qualifications needed, as well as linking you to the Law and Rules Compendium and the Application

Do I get a renewal card/certificate upon renewal by mail as a Business (P.E. or P.L.S or Engineer Intern or Land Surveyor Intern)?

For P.E. or P.L.S.: You're wallet card is on your renewal emailed receipt as an attached graphic.

For a Business or Engineer Intern or Land Surveyor Intern: An email receipt is sent to the email address used in the renewal process online.

For all categories: You can check your current expiration at

There's an engineer in our office for whom I need to renew the license. Is there a unique number assigned to him on this renewal form? How do I make the payment?

For P.E.: The number is P-# on the renewal form.

For a combination PE/LS: The number is PL-# on the renewal form.

For Land Surveyor: The number is a L-# on the renewal form.

No receipt will be issued other than the from your online payment.

For all categories: You can check your current expiration at

Our address is on our home page, however, all must now renew and pay online at

I'm a building official and want to know is it required for an Engineer to submit an original signature on their plans when submitting for a building permit?

Idaho Code states: "The seal and signature of the licensee and date shall be placed on all original documents in such a manner that such seal, signature and date are reproduced when the original document is copied."

Generally speaking, the engineer possesses the original document and stores it in his or her office. When copies or prints of that document are made, the seal and signature and date are reproduced, so an "original" or "wet" signature is not produced on copies which are typically submitted to the regulatory bodies for review and permitting. Engineers are not required to have an original signature on plan sets submitted for issuance of building

I'm past my birth month and don't recall getting a renewal notice. Can I renew on the web? What is the late fee?

The late fee is 50% of the renewal amount per month or any portion thereof. There is no late fee for EI/LSI/Retired licensees. You can you can renew online and change your address online at: The notice was emailed to the email address on file, which may not have been updated by the licensee (as required) when the licensee moved, changed jobs, or otherwise changed addresses. Check to verify the mailing address information on file.
Renewal notices are a complimentary reminder the Board provides and in no way affect the certificate holder’s responsibility to pay renewal fees on time. Renewal reminders are sent to the email address online. Hardcopy reminders are mailed to the last known address for those license holders without an email address on file. It is the license holder’s responsibility to update and maintain a current mailing address. top

I let my Engineer Intern or Land Surveyor Intern certificate go past the renewal date. What do I have to do to get it renewed?

The Engineer Intern or Land Surveyor Intern certificate doesn't "expire." Not renewing your registrations does not make you ineligible for eventual licensure or to sit for the professional examination. Not renewing your registrations simply removes you from our mailing list. To get back on the mailing list, simply renew online at

I am licensed in Canada as a P.Eng or in the UK as a C.Eng. What do I need to do to get licensed as a P.E. in the State of Idaho?

If you're licensed as a P.E. in any other jurisdiction of the United States, or you have been licensed and practicing in Canada or the UK for over 8 years with no disciplinary actions against you (see Idaho Code 54-1219), you may complete an Application Page and where you'll find all the necessary documentation required including college transcripts. If you do not have eight (8) years of licensed practice, you will need to take and pass both the NCEES FE and PE examinations. A local law and rules examination may also be

If a client does not require (or request) that certain documents be stamped, does the client accept responsibility for the implementation of those designs?

Idaho Law clearly says that whenever you submit final plans to a client or to a public or governmental agency, you must stamp, sign, and date. If it is not final, it must be marked as "Not for construction" or "draft" (or similar words). Your client does not have the 'option' of stamped or unstamped drawings. You either need to stamp the final plans or indicate that they are not final by marking them as noted

What are the requirements for land surveying licensure?

The law requires a 4-year degree in order to be licensed. There are two pathways to initial land surveyor licensure. One is to obtain a 4-year degree in surveying or geomatics such as the Idaho State University B.S. in Surveying and Geomatics (see their website at The other pathway is to obtain a 4-year degree in a related profession and obtain an additional 30 semester credits of surveying courses. ISU offers an Academic Certificate in Land Surveying that will meet the Board’s requirements for the required surveying courses using this pathway. Effective July 1, 2018, Idaho no longer 'assigns' applicants to the exams - rather applicants after this date simply signup at NCEES for the exams and once passed and having the requisite experience, apply to the Board for licensure. If you already have a license in another jurisdiction, you may apply for a license by comity.. If you are licensed in another jurisdiction prior to July 1, 2010, the The law requires the Board to measure your credentials against the law that was in effect in Idaho at the time you were licensed in the other jurisdiction. This means that if you were licensed prior to 2010, a 4-year degree may not be required. Also, the Board may waive prescriptive education requirements if you were licensed in another jurisdiction for 8 or more years without discipline.

I need to renew my license. Can I do that online or over the phone, and pay by credit card?

You can renew licenses and intern certificates online at: Certificate of Authority renewals must be done online at top

I've been assigned to the exam here in Idaho, but I would like to take the test in another state - is that possible?

Effective July 1, 2018, Idaho no longer 'assigns' applicants to the exams - rather applicants after this date simply signup at NCEES for the exams and once passed and having the requisite experience, apply to the Board for licensure. NCEES will require you to specify the state you intend to take the examination in, and will specify you must meet the requirements of that state to be eligible to take it in that state. However, all NCEES examinations are the same in every state, so the state you take the examination in should not matter. If you meet the residency and other eligibility requirements of Idaho, you should plan to take the examinations in Idaho, as there is no advantage to taking them in another state. The professional examinations are offered twice per year in Boise and are proctored by NCEES. We may proctor other state specific land surveyor examinations and Canadian Professional Engineering examinations in our office when

What titles can an engineer intern use and what titles can an engineer use?

The Board has expressed opinions previously that use of the title "engineer" is not protected, but use of any title that implies that the person is licensed is protected. Obviously "professional engineer" is protected, as would be "licensed engineer" or "civil engineer" or any other discipline preceding "engineer" in a discipline used for licensing purposes. The Board has previously expressed an opinion that the title "Project Engineer" is not protected, but if a person is certified as an Engineer Intern, their title should reflect the same with those words or the acronym "E.I." In this case, the use of the title "Design Engineer" would likely not be a problem so long as it included "Engineer Intern". Like some other states, the title "Graduate Engineer" would not be a problem, but again, tell the whole story and include "E.I." so no one will be misled regarding your licensure

What initials can a Professional Engineer use behind his name?

Idaho licenses persons "generically" as opposed to "by discipline" so individuals are licensed as PE's regardless of the exam they take for licensing purposes. Idaho does not object to discipline designations such as C.E., M.E., E.E. or S.E. if that indicates the principal area of practice. The Board has previously expressed an opinion that a PE who has not passed the SE exams may still use the initials "S.E." in their title if structural engineering is their principal area of

Can a PE or PLS digitally sign or seal their work?

Yes! The statute for sealing work is found in (see 54-1215 3(a)). Therein it allows such work to be done with use of "a rubber stamp, crimp or electronically generated image." It goes on in the paragraph to say that "If the signature is handwritten, it shall be adjacent to or across the seal." see example seal; And "A facsimile signature generated by any method will not be acceptable unless accompanied by an electronic signature." The electronic signature and electronically generated image sections were added in the 2002 Legislative Session.

Further, the definition of "signature" is found in subparagraph (14) of the Idaho Code (54-1202) pertaining to Engineers and Land Surveyors at

The Idaho Code that allows electronic signatures for business and describes their required characteristics is found at

Autodesk in their AutoCadd and Acrobat products facilitates this electronic signing process and embeds the required electronic verification methodology. The Board approved a White Paper on E-Signatures and electronic files (revised 12/13/13 and 09/08/17).   top

If I (or we) only contract our engineering services to a federal government agency here in Idaho, are we exempt from the licensure requirement?

Although the Idaho Code doesn't exempt you, since your offering engineering services here in Idaho, the courts have decided that state licensing laws cannot regulate with whom the federal government contracts.
see Leslie Miller, Inc. v. Arkansas, 352 U.S. 187, 190, 77 S.Ct. 257 (1956); having said that, if you offer your services to anyone other than the federal government, you need to be

Elevations Certificates -- can engineers and surveyors sign and seal??

See 54-1202 (11) & (12)
Engineering work involves designing and certifying plans for roads, sewers, water, grading and drainage, hydrologic studies and the determination of the base flood elevation (where FEMA did not have a published BFE and an engineer probably did the BFE for the mapping). All of these plans and studies require the engineer to certify elevations.
Surveyors perform and certify topographic surveys, bench mark networks, elevations of buildings & radio towers, surveys for engineering design and FEMA elevation certificates. When surveyors stamp these drawings or reports, they are certifying elevations.
The code was amended in 2012 to allow both engineers and land surveyors to certify elevations.
The amendment codified what was already being practiced. It does not encourage working beyond a licensee's area of expertise or allow anything that was not already being done. It does not direct an engineer to perform surveys for FEMA elevation certificates, nor does it direct a surveyor to perform hydrologic studies or road, drainage and sewer plans.
Idaho Code 54-1227 was amended in 2020 to define the limits of surveying activities by professional engineers. Under the amended law, engineers may only perform surveying work “necessary and incidental to their work”. This prohibits engineers from performing surveying services if they are not directly related to an engineering project under their responsible charge. Elevations certificates are considered both surveying and engineering projects and may be performed by licensees of both professions, provided they are qualified by education and experience to perform them. (top)

Fees to reinstate from Retired status - what are they?

See IDAPA Discontinued, Retired and Expired Licenses and Certificates - 06. "Fee for Reinstatement a Retired License" The fee for reinstatement of a retired license to active practice is as required for delayed renewals in Section 54-1216, Idaho Code." (top)

Fees to reinstate from Expired status - what are they?

See IDAPA Discontinued, Retired and Expired Licenses and Certificates - 07. "The fee for reinstatement of an expired license or certificate to active practice shall be as required for delayed renewals in Section 54-1216, Idaho Code.(top)

Can engineers and architects have “site surveyors” on staff without a PLS on staff?

The title of “surveyor” is protected under the statute to those who possess a professional land surveyor license. The statute does not regulate who can be hired or employed, but the titles used and the advertisement of professional credentials must be accurately displayed. Site surveying is undefined, but usually means the creation of site specific control and topography for the purposes of designing or improving infrastructure or conducting analysis that requires topographic data (hydrologic or geotechnical investigations, etc.). This work is now included in the recently revised definition of professional land surveying, and must be performed by a professional land surveyor or those under his or her responsible charge. The statute also allows “professional engineers qualified and duly licensed… to perform non-boundary surveys necessary and incidental to the work customarily performed by them.” However, if the firm is advertising “site surveying” credentials and offering this service to the public, they cannot use the term “surveying” unless a professional land surveyor is signing and sealing this work. (top)

How long does it take to get my Idaho License by Comity (or to get my Intern Certificate)?

The minimum time to process an application,after all supporting documentation is received, is ten (10) business days. If there is anything requiring Board approval, it will be placed on the next available Board agenda and your answer will be a minimum of ten (10) business days after the Board meeting concludes. Similarly, if you have posed a question to the Board, your response will be in writing either by letter or email and you should allow ten (10) business days for that response after the Board meeting concludes. (top)

,Should my seal say 'registered' or 'licensed' or does it matter?

See the article in the NewsBulletin #41 (June 2008): NEW SEALS TO SAY “LICENSED” INSTEAD OF “REGISTERED” As reported elsewhere in this NEWS BULLETIN, House Bill No. 380, among other things, changed the terminology of the engineers and surveyors act to consistently use the term “license” or “licensee” or “licensure” when referring to a professional engineer or a professional land surveyor. Idaho Code provides that the design of the professional seal shall be as determined by the Board. Prior to July 1, 2008, the effective date of HB 380, the standard seal indicated that the PE or PLS was “Registered.” Beginning July 1, 2008, the seal specification will require the use of the word “Licensed” in keeping with the language in the amended statute. PE’s and PLS’s who have a seal that says “Registered” may continue to use those seals, or they may choose to obtain a new seal which uses the term “Licensed.” If you choose to do the latter, you are required to submit a copy of the seal along with your signature to the Board office.(top)

,I was licensed originally in Canada (or the U.K.), are there any specific policies regarding my comity application?

If originally licensed in a Canadian province or in the U.K., please read Board Policy on Comity Licensure for Foreign Applicants

If I change my name (marriage, divorce, civil action), do I need to change my name on my PE (or PLS) seal? Wall Certificate?

Short answer – Yes!.

Long answer –You must have the same name on your seal as you sign your signature (see letter from Board when you received your license). See also IDAPA “Use of Seal on Documents. A Licensee shall affix his signature and seal only to plans or documents prepared under his responsible charge.” IC 54-1215 “(1) … Licenses shall show the full name of the licensee, shall give a license number, and shall be signed by the chairman and the secretary of the board under seal of the board. … (3) Each licensee hereunder shall, upon licensure, obtain a seal, the use and design of which are described below.” As far as Wall Certificates are concerned, it is up to you. See: IC 54-1221. Reissuance of licenses and wall certificates. … A new wall certificate to replace any wall certificate revoked, lost, destroyed or mutilated may be issued upon payment of such reasonable charge therefor as shall be fixed by the board to cover the estimated cost of such reissuance, but not exceeding ten dollars ($10.00) in any case. top

Why does my home address show on the website - can I change that?

Short answer – Yes! you can change that. You gave us the address that is on the website.

Long answer –Per our Board attorney, “Idaho Code § 74-106 governs personal information exempt from disclosure pursuant to a public records request. Subsection (8) limits information available from the Board to the public regarding licensees to names, business addresses and business phone numbers.” We have assume the address you provide is your business address, which we must have in order to provide notice to you of renewals and for other official communications to you from the Board. If you inadvertently provided a home address, you can change that online to your business address by logging back into the renewal system and updating the address, then, once completed, logging back out of the system. top

I have been approached by a local government for a bid for services in response to a disaster declaration. Does the QBS rule still apply?

Short answer - no; unless.... See references: Idaho Code 67-5711B;
Idaho Code 67-2808;
Idaho Code 67-2309;

Long answer:
Per our Board attorney, "...there is no question that a county may suspend formal bidding in its entirety in cases of emergency to deal with the emergency. Idaho Code § 67-2320 seems to indicate (although rather awkwardly) that QBS policy should be followed unless the "expenditure is otherwise exempt from the bidding process provided by law." Your rule of professional responsibility 009.05 indicates that professionals should follow QBS in those circumstances "required pursuant to § 67-2320." So it seems that bidding is not required in declared emergencies at all, hence it follows that niceties of QBS should not be required. Ergo, you should not be looking to discipline a professional for responding to an emergency offer of contract.
[The] scenario seems to be that [licensees] are being asked what it will cost to help the county engineer deal with a declared emergency. Given what appears to be the intent of the statutes and rule, it is my opinion that an attempted prosecution of a responding engineer would be outside the law, and subject to dismissal. I recognize that someone may parse the wording of the statutes and rules differently, but I believe the intent of the statutory scheme is clear.
Michael J. Kane"

A discussion with the Idaho Office of Emergency Management (IOEM), Karen Wallen, clarified how the process works. During the RESPONSE phase, the above emergency provisions apply. However, if the contracting office asks for a bid and includes within the scope of work a PERMANENT FIX or ENHANCED PROJECT to alleviate future risks, then the emergency provisions do not apply since this work is accomplished within the RECOVERY or DISASTER MITIGATION phases of an emergency operation and the criterion for an emergency no longer exists.

A comment from the QBS Facilitator's Council: "The fees will most likely be under $25000, so why [would the jurisdiction] not just follow the law and get qualifications from three firms and hire one? That process could, in theory, only take a day (just as long as getting the bids...). - Teri Ottens" (top)

I’ve changed jobs since I renewed online and listed my employer’s information – how do I change that in your database?

At this point you don’t. We asked the question to be sure that employer’s had COA’s and licensees wouldn’t get in trouble for providing services through an unlicensed firm. That information in our database was your situation when you renewed – e.g., a snapshot in time. So you wouldn’t need to change it nor can you. Our database shows your current employer and current licensee’s in responsible charge for COA’s. You are able to change the information for the current situation for your personal license. Your employer is able to identify the licensees in responsible charge listed for the company for their COA. If you leave employment and are listed as the licensee in responsible charge in your employers COA, you should request your employer remove you from the list. Your new employer may then add you to the list for their COA. (top)

I’m programming PLC's, HMI and MachineVision at my company. If I offer this service to other companies, is a PE required?

Programming of these devices is not considered engineering and a PE license is not required. However, it is possible that if the service provided extended beyond the programming or if engineering services were provided to determine what the programming was needed, it might. The definition of professional engineering is found at Idaho Code 54-1202 (11) (top).

The pertinent element of that section is "the "practice of professional engineering" mean any service or creative work offered to or performed for the public for any project physically located in this state, such as consultation, investigation, evaluation, planning, designing, … in connection with any public or private … machines, equipment, processes, … wherein the public welfare or the safeguarding of life, health, or property is concerned or involved, when such service requires the application of engineering principles and data." Emphasis Added(top)

I've sent Idaho my NCEES record - I haven't heard anything yet about receiving my Idaho License; how long does it take?

Simply sending Idaho a copy of your NCEES record doesn't, in itself, start an application for licensure in Idaho. Receiving from you a completed application (either Initial Application with NCEES record, or Comity Application with NCEEES record) does. If you've not submitted an application for licensure, you not be hearing from the Idaho Board since there is no application pending.(top)

I have been invited by a sales representative and will be attending a manufacturers seminar at the manufacturers headquarters which is out of state. The trip includes the airfare, lodging, meals, factory tour, systems presentations, and an NHL hockey game. I would like to know what part(s), if any, of the trip I would need to reimburse the manufacturer’s representative for to comply with IDAPA Gratuities. This trip is not in connection with a specific project, but it is a manufacturer that I have specified on projects in the past.

Per IDAPA, the attendance of the seminar, related materials, advertising trinkets, and meals during the seminar or immediately before or thereafter are de minimis and ethical to accept. The travel, lodging and hockey tickets however are not minor expenditures, and should not be accepted or offered because they could be construed to be an effort to improperly influence the Licensee’s or Certificate Holder’s professional judgment. Further, if the training is worth the time investment of the professional, then the Licensee, Certificate Holder or their employer should cover the expense of travel, lodging and entertainment to avoid any possible perception of undue influence. See background.


I am a PLS who provides avalanche risk assessment services to local structural engineers, land owners and local government officials. My credentials to provide these services were questioned. Can I provide these services?

Based on an investigation into the matter, there are four primary services you are providing. One service is the mapping and analysis of avalanches to determine the hazard paths. Another service is providing the forces known as impact pressures to structural engineers who use that data to design structures to withstand the forces of an avalanche. A third service is to advise local government officials on impending avalanche hazards to protect first responders and other members of the public from avalanche hazards. A fourth service is to train alpine and backcountry skiers and other recreationists to recognize and mitigate avalanche hazards. The Board considered the matter at the September and November meetings and determined that the first service – mapping and analysis of avalanches is the practice of either professional land surveying or professional engineering. The second service is the practice of professional engineering and not professional land surveying. The third and fourth service is neither the practice of land surveying nor the practice of engineering. All final documents prepared while providing services to clients or public officials that constitute the practice of professional engineering or professional land surveying must bear the seal, signature and date of the licensee. Expertise in avalanche risk assessment is a specialized field. Professional engineers and professional land surveyors that offer services in this field should obtain the training and mentoring necessary to achieve competency. Participatory professional membership in the American Avalanche Association is recommended for those who practice in this field. If a project is located in Idaho, documents prepared must be signed, sealed and dated by a person licensed in Idaho. (top)

If I withdraw my application or renewal, will you refund the fees paid?

Fees paid to the Board are non-refundable. See IDAPA

I want to retire my license. How do I do that?

Use the online renewal process and select “Retired”. No fees are charged to convert a license to a retired license Expired licenses cannot be converted to a retired licenses.(top)

I retired my license, why am I sent a renewal reminder? How much does it cost?

In Idaho, maintaining or renewing a “retired” license will keep you on our mailing list. Not renewing the retired license registration will remove you from our mailing list. We no longer charge a renewal fee for retired license renewals.There is no requirement to stay on our mailing list.(top)

I want to sit for the intern or professional examination. When do I send my application materials?

After you pass the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering or Fundamentals or Surveying examiantion and after you have tranmitted your transcript to NCEES for verification, you may apply for certification as an Engineer or Surveying Intern.

After you pass the NCEES Principles and Practice of Engineering or Surveying examination, you may apply for licensure in Idaho. However, if Idaho is your first US jurisdiction of licensure, you must also meet the residency requirements noted in IDAPA

Residency Requirement. Except for military personnel stationed in the state of Idaho on military orders, and except for persons employed full-time in the state of Idaho, only residents of the state of Idaho and students enrolled at an Idaho university or college may qualify for initial licensure. The Board will accept as proof of Idaho residency a valid Idaho issued driver’s license, a utility bill issued within the last sixty (60) days with an Idaho address in the name of the applicant, a statement from a financial institution issued within the last sixty (60) days to the applicant at an Idaho address, proof of current voter registration in Idaho, or current Idaho vehicle registration in the name of the applicant. The Board will accept as proof of full-time employment in the state of Idaho verification from the Idaho employer stating employment status. The Board will accept a valid student identification card as proof of enrollment at an Idaho university or college.

There is no residency requirement for intern certification.

Can I pay my renewal fees over the phone?

No, licenses cannot be renewed over the phone. License renewals require the self-certified statement of compliance with our laws and rules. To renew your license, please go to, verify your contact information, complete the online renewal, self-certify that you've read and will comply with the laws and rules and pay online via credit or debit card.(top)

How does one update the responsible charge person on a firm license?

Log into the online renewal page at, click on the “Responsible Charge” tab under the banner and edit your listing.(top)

I want to change my license to an “inactive” status and I do not qualify for “retired” status. How do I make my license inactive?

Idaho does not offer an “inactive” status. Instead, Idaho offers “retired” status. There are no qualifications for retired status. To convert the license, please select “Retired Status” during online renewal.(top)

I changed employers. How do I change my employment record with the Board?

If you used your employment address, email, phone number as your contact information it is advisable too log into the renewal page at and update your address/contact info, otherwise you may not receive important communications from the Board, such as renewal reminders, etc.
If your previous employer listed you as being a PE in responsible charge for their projects in Idaho, while it is the company’s responsibility to notify us of the change, you may want to notify us so that we can note in your record that you are no longer in responsible charge and also so that we can prompt the company to amend their listing on their certificate.